Summary & Teaching of 48 井The Well :
- Business is about delivering value.
- We must protect and care for our source of supply and our value-producing system.
- We need to invest first to gains later.
- We need to plan and execute well to completion.
- Be considerate for the use and benefits of others.
- Co-operation brings greater success for all.
- What is the unique value that we are delivering to our customers? Who are they? How do we reach them? What do they think is our value to them?
- Are we caring for our production system? Are we keeping them in tip-top operating conditions?
- Are we upgrading them? Did we invest in the upgrade?
- Are we planning and executing our plans or are we just letting runs on its own?
- Have we extended our view of the business to take care of our suppliers, partners, community, and the environment?
- Are we getting co-operations from our stakeholders including our owners, staff, customers, suppliers, and community? What do they think of us?
Each Hexagram has a 6-stage line of additional wisdom to guide us. The six-stage lines of the Hexagram use different states of the well to impress us with great wisdom. Below are the details and my additional comments.
Wisdom from the Stage Lines:
- Dried Well.
Must provide real value - thirst-quenching water. Deliver your promises. Don't put up good marketing messages, beautiful packaging only to disappoint the customers. A well is supposed to have water to quench the thirst of your customers. Are you creating the wow experience that customers want to return and ask for more?
- Broken Well (equipment).
Build on your strength and Fix the defects. Neglecting care and maintenance of our production system will result in broken equipment and lost revenues.
- Unused Well.
Be wise – hire and use talents well. Don't let our resources go to waste. Don't put class A people on class C jobs or Class C people on class A jobs. Have you neglected the promotion of your offering? How do people know about the value that you have?
- Strengthened Well.
The system producing the value must be maintained and enhanced. Invest in improving our production system. Innovate in our offerings and the processes.
- Cleansed Well.
Reorganized the system with the right placement of resources and run with principles produce valuable offerings customer seek.
- Uncovered Well.
Be trustworthy, transparent, and generous. Great wealth is generated and shared. The more you give and share, the greater is your returns.
Lim Liat copyrighted in March 2011.