|Mind-map of The Great Learning DaXue|
Transformation begins with self and extends over to family, country and world. Change occurs from within and then extends to the external world of family, nation and world. Develop of Self begins
- Studying The Things in our universe.
- Develop Knowledge and Insights of how things work - the principles.
- Have Sincerity and Integrity.
- A Right unprejudiced Heart that judges fairly and objectively.
- A High Moral Character.
Once we can take control of ourselves, we can then extend outwards to influence, in order, the following:
- Lead the Family
- Govern the Country
- Rule the World with peace.
The Three Objectives:
First 5 on Internal Character Development:
And the 3 External Steps:
Update: 10 Jan 2012
Dao School View on Leadership Development
This Confucius' Ru School teaching 内修外治 (inward development and outward ruling) is very similar to Lao Zi' s Dao School 内圣外王 (inward saint and outward king). It was from Zhuang Zi 《庄子·天下篇》. You can click the link to get the English translation. The keys are:
- To build inner character, remember the root sources, the attributes, the truth, virtues, the ways, handling of changes, love, righteousness, manners of behavior, harmony of music.
- To manage the people, use laws, right jobs for right people, evidence based, careful decision making, providing for living (economic development for the people), storing, care for the old, weak and orphans.
Lao Zi's also has a measure for the levels of leadership. See Levels of Leadership - Can We Measure Leadership?
Lim Liat (C) 2011-2012