I found two lists of "20 Truths of Life". Combining them into a shorter list will help memory and understanding. I also improved some of them. I hope it is a good list for your reflection in life, especially for the annual New Year resolutions.The Sources:
https://www.inc.com/matthew-jones/20-brutal-truths-about-life-no-one-wants-to-admit.html By Matthew Jones
- Life is Short - Live Wisely
- Develop Yourself 1st -Then can you help others
- Self-awareness - Be & Manage Yourself
- Write Your Life Story - Only You can do it
- Life is about Relationships - Use Your time to build them
- Happiness comes from Good Relationships - Acceptance of Self & Others bring satisfaction
The Expanded List:
The truth numbers are kept from the original lists so that you can check them up if needed.
Yellow truth is from Hackspirit and Green truths are from Matthew Jones.
1 Life is Short - Live Wisely
- 1) We haven’t got that much control in life.We can only control our response. Habit#1 Be Proactive
- - 1. You're going to die and you have no idea when.Start structuring your life in a more meaningful way.
- 11) Everyone will die.So, what should I be doing?
- 20. Time is your most valuable asset--you need to prioritize how you spend it.You can't manage time but can choose wisely how to spend your time.
- - 0 Know Your life purpose, the right values and develop the right character.
- 12) You give your own life meaning.A car does not know its purpose. Ask the right source, your Creator who created you. He should know.
- 14) Life isn’t that serious.Find your answer in Point 12 and enjoy living our your purpose.
- 15) Everything will come to an end.Enjoy while it lasts and prepares for the next stage.
- 15. Investing in yourself isn't selfish. It's the most worthwhile thing you can do.Confucius: Build yourself up first that you may help others. 己欲立而立人
- 11. Your talent means nothing without consistent effort and practice.Develop them and put them to use.
- 19. Your ambition means nothing without executionIt's time to get going
- 18. Pleasure is temporary and fleeting, so stop chasing fireworks and start building a constellation.Don't settle for an ego boost right now when you can delay to experience deeper fulfillment.
- 18) Make a change or don’t complain.Unless you can find a better way.
- 5) The best lessons often come from hardships = 19)Challenges develop you.
- 6) We often confuse being busy with being productive.Prioritize the Important over urgent. Habit#3 1st Thing 1st
- 4) Worrying is a complete waste of time.Face up the worries. How likely and Even if it happens, so...
- 8. Your thoughts are less important than your feelings and your feelings need acknowledgment.Examine your feelings first and then think through to know and accept yourself better.
- 6. You can't make everyone happy, and if you try, you'll lose yourself.Start respecting your values, principles, and autonomy.
- 3) Everything, even you, is imperfect. & 17) Be realisticAccept it. Develop your talents and outsource your weaknesses
- 7. You can't be perfect, and holding yourself to unrealistic standards creates suffering.Fight back against that negative voice, develop your strengths, outsource your weaknesses
- 9. Your actions speak louder than your words, so you need to hold yourself accountable.Be responsible and take actions that increase positivity and love.
Listen to criticisms carefully. Learn from it and make improvements
- 2) Our expectations are what causes are sufferinglet go and simply enjoy life for what it is. But, make it better for yourself and others.
- 13. Nobody cares how difficult your life is, and you are the author of your life's story.Stop looking for sympathy and start to create your desired life story.
- 16. It's not what happens, it's how you react that matters.7-Habit#1 Response positively to achieve a better outcome.
- 12. Now is the only time that matters, the past is gone, the future is yet to be. (modified from original post)Learn from the past, enjoy and prepare for the future- see #13
- 10) It’s easier to hold onto the way things are than to learn and grow.Embrace change and grow up.
- 17. No man is an island. Life is about meaningful relationships.You need to improve your relationships to have lasting happiness.
- 10. Your achievements and successes won't matter on your death bed.Relationships matter more so start to act accordingly
- 2. Everyone you love is going to die, and you don't know when. re-establish meaningful relationships with important people in your life
- 5. Donating money does less than donating time.Giving your time creates a memory for yourself and others that last
- 14. Proverbs 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue, (replace original post)And those who love it will eat its fruit. --- Make sure our speech gives life
- 13) There is no such thing as a perfect partner.Open your eyes wide to choose the right one. Then close the eye of criticism and appreciate the one you have chosen. She is the right one for you.
- 3. Your material wealth won't make you a better or happier person.money only amplifies that which was already present.
- 7) Most of us don’t need more to be happy, we need less. = 20)Happy for a while only. There are things more important than wealth.
- 4. Your obsession with finding happiness is what prevents its attainment.Happiness is always present --it's just a matter of connecting to it
- 9) Most arguments we have are pointless.Put ego aside and think what you can learn from the arguments.
- 8) As a society, we’re way too focused on outer beauty.Do both, internal virtues and external grace.