Summary & Teaching of 48 井The Well :
- Business is about delivering value.
- We must protect and care for our source of supply and our value producing system.
- We need to invest first to gains later.
- We need to plan and execute well to completion.
- Be considerate for the use and benefits of others.
- Co-operation brings greater success for all.
- What is the unique value that we are delivering to our customers? Who are they? How to we reach them? What do they think is our value to them?
- Are we caring for our production system? Are we keeping them in tip-top operating conditions?
- Are we upgrading them? Did we invest in the upgrade?
- Are we planning and executing our plans or are we just letting runs on its own?
- Have we extended our view of business to take care our suppliers, partners, community, and the environment?
- Are we getting co-operations from our stakeholders including our owners, staff, customers, suppliers and community? What do they think of us?
Each Hexagram has a 6-stage line of additional wisdom to guide us. The six stage lines of the Hexagram uses different states of the well to impress us with great wisdom. Below is the details and my additional comments.
Wisdom from the Stage Lines:
- Dried Well.
Must provide real value - thirst quenching water. Deliver your promises. Don't put up good marketing messages, beautiful packaging only to disappoint the customers. A well is supposed to have water to quench the thirst of your customers. Are you creating the wow experience that customers want to return and ask for more?
- Broken Well (equipments).
Build on your strength and Fix the defects. Neglecting care and maintenance of our production system will result in broken equipments and lost revenues.
- Unused Well.
Be wise – hire and use talents well. Don't let our resources go to waste. Don't put class A people on class C job or Class C people on class A jobs. Have you neglected promotion of your offering? How do people know about the value that you have?
- Strengthened Well.
The system producing the value must be maintained and enhanced. Invest in improving our production system. Innovate in our offerings and the processes.
- Cleansed Well.
Reorganized the system with right placement of resources and run with principles produce valuable offerings customer seek.
- Uncovered Well.
Be trustworthy, transparent and generous. Great wealth is generated and shared. The more you give and share, the greater is your returns.
Lim Liat copyrighted March 2011.